Fish oil is a pretty well-known supplement but what does it actually do and what is it good for?
Fish oil is full of Omega-3 fatty acids which the body needs for numerous daily functions. With a typical Western diet, we eat more Omega-6 fatty acids than Omega-3. Studies have shown the ratio to be between 15:1 to 17:1 Omega 6: Omega 3. While both are necessary, this throws off the balance and can increase inflammation which may lead to disease.
Benefits of fish oil
- Heart health – Simply put, in recent clinical trials fish oil and its abundance of Omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to help reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease.
- Anti-inflammatory qualities – Inflammation comes in all shapes and sizes and is a factor in many diseases including Celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, as well as in any injury because inflammation increases.
- Eye and vision problems – Fish oil can improve vision and help with the aging process of macular degeneration.
- Acne – acne is a type of inflammation that affects the pores and skin glands. Fish oil can help reduce the formation of pimples and blemishes.
- Pregnancy – healthy fats are very important in fetal development especially the brain and eyes. A study in Denmark showed that diets low in fish and healthy fats lead to more premature and preterm births.
For even more benefits of adding fish oil to your diet CLICK HERE.
How to get Omega-3 fatty acids
You can get the necessary Omega-3’s through your diet. Some of the best foods include salmon, cod, chia seeds, walnuts, flaxseeds, tuna, and eggs to name a few. Make sure if you are eating fish you are getting wild-caught versus farm raised. You can also take a high-quality supplement daily to fill the void in your diet. Krill oil is a good supplement as it is high in essential fatty acids and is less of a burden on the environment.
Other ways to beat inflammation
When your joints and spine are out of alignment it puts an increase of pressure on the surrounding discs, nerves, and muscles. This can cause an inflammatory response which can eventually lead to pain and dysfunction. Chiropractors check for these misalignments and can help re-align the spine which reduces the pressure on the joint complex, therefore, decreasing inflammation and swelling. If you are looking for a chiropractor in Frisco check us out at Express Chiropractic of Frisco.